Christmas music is usually filled with sentimental ballads and sugary-sweet carols. But in 1981, a little band called The Waitresses burst onto the scene with something different: “Christmas Wrapping,” a song that’s as quirky and offbeat as it is catchy.
A Fresh Take on the Holidays
“Christmas Wrapping” tells the story of a woman who’s working at a department store during the holidays, facing the stress of the season while longing for a romantic connection. It’s a relatable tale that resonated with many who found themselves in similar situations.
The song is unique in several ways. The lyrics are conversational and witty, delivered in a spoken-word style that’s more reminiscent of rap than traditional Christmas fare. The music is a mix of new wave and pop, with driving drums, a catchy synth melody, and a surprisingly melancholic undercurrent.
A Song That’s Endured the Test of Time
“Christmas Wrapping” wasn’t an immediate hit, but it gradually gained popularity over the years, becoming a cult classic and a beloved holiday tradition for many. It’s now considered a Christmas classic, regularly played on radio stations and featured in holiday movies and TV shows.
Why We Love “Christmas Wrapping”
There are several reasons why “Christmas Wrapping” has endured the test of time.
- It’s relatable. The song’s themes of loneliness and longing for love are universal, and something that many people can still connect with today.
- It’s catchy and fun. Despite its melancholic undertones, “Christmas Wrapping” is a fun and upbeat song that’s impossible not to sing along to.
- It’s different. “Christmas Wrapping” is a breath of fresh air among the often predictable and sappy holiday tunes. It’s a song that stands out and offers a unique perspective on the holiday season.
- It’s nostalgic. For many people, “Christmas Wrapping” evokes strong memories of their childhood or teenage years, making it a cherished part of their holiday traditions.
So next time you’re feeling overwhelmed by the holiday rush, take a break and put on “Christmas Wrapping.” It’s a reminder that even amidst the chaos, there’s still room for a little bit of quirkiness and humor.
Here are some additional reasons why “Christmas Wrapping” is such a great song:
- It celebrates the unsung heroes of the holiday season, like the retail workers who keep the stores running.
- It reminds us that it’s okay not to be perfectly happy during the holidays.
- It encourages us to embrace the unexpected and find joy in the little things.
Whether you’re a longtime fan or discovering “Christmas Wrapping” for the first time, there’s no denying that it’s a special song that deserves a place on your holiday playlist.